Founder & General Partner
David has been a prominent investor in venture and growth equity for almost 20 years and has over 25 years of experience investing in energy and technology companies. David's areas of focus include renewable and alternative energy technologies, industrial internet and software, energy storage, advanced materials, and utility software and services.
David has also been an active participant helping to shape federal policy for the venture capital and growth equity industry. As a board member of the National Venture Capital Association for four years, David chaired the NVCA Energy & Cleantech Committee and worked with policymakers to promote capital formation for technology companies focused on US energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. In addition, as the 2014-15 Chair of the NVCA Growth Equity Group, David worked with industry participants, research firms and policymakers to establish and benchmark Growth Equity as a distinct asset class within private equity. Prior to forming Element in 2005, David was a co-founder and Managing Director of EnerTech Capital Partners, an energy technology venture firm formed in 1996. Under his leadership, EnerTech successfully managed over $290 million in two funds specifically focused on energy, communications, and clean technologies. David also founded and served as President and CEO of Deven Resources, Inc., a private equity firm dedicated to the acquisition and development of energy properties. From 1984 to 1991, David was a partner with CMS Companies, a Philadelphia-based private equity and financial services firm. David began his career at UGI Corporation, a diversified energy and utility holding company.
David holds a BA with honors in Geology from Colgate University and an MS in Energy Management and Policy from the University of Pennsylvania, and is active in addressing the Philadelphia public schools crisis as an executive committee board member with City Year of Philadelphia.
Serving on Portfolio Company Boards:
- AquaVenture Holdings (NYSE:WAAS)
- Petra Solar
- 212 Resources (acquired by Tervita/Newalta Corp.)
- Advent Solar (acquired by Applied Materials)
- Capstone Turbine (NASDAQ: CPST)
- Catalytic Solutions (acquired by Clean Diesel Technologies)
- Comverge (NASDAQ:COMV)
- Environmental Drilling Solutions
- Fat Spaniel Technologies (acquired by Power-One Inc.)
- Franklin Fuel Cells
- FuelQuest (acquired by Saracen Energy)
- Intellon (acquired by Atheros Communications)
- Orcom Solutions (acquired by Alliance Data Systems)
- Sixth Dimension (acquired by Comverge)
- Wasatch Wind (acquired by MAP Energy)